Monday, June 9, 2014

Day 72 - Deutschland


So I was lucky enough to visit Germany a few years ago.  It was such a special trip...not just for the beautiful landscape and warm people (yes...the Germans are warm...swear), but for the nostalgia. No, I had never been before....you see my grandparents were German immigrants. Every Sunday we would spend the day with them...my Grandma would cook and bake....the house always smelled awesome!  Grandpa would always talk very loud...his own wonderful dialect of Germglish. They were great afternoons.

What struck me about Germany was how at home I felt...every restaurant and bakery smelled like Oma's kitchen...even the soaps took me directly back to the pleasant floral scents of her little half bath.  Then on every corner I would hear my Opa...shouting his point out only to be followed by a warm full laugh. I can't wait to return...it was a magical trip.

I don't know why, but this sketch brought up that memory. I guess I can see some chic Fraulein in this tweed and satin suit...Das ist wunderbar!




No comments:

Post a Comment